October’s Curry Club gathering was nothing short of sensational. As the esteemed members of the lodge, cherished guests, and aspirants for the Lodge of Honour converged, the air was filled with anticipation and the rich aroma of Thai spices wafting from the Thai Balcony.
Without a flicker of doubt, the group unanimously selected the Thai Balcony’s signature mixed starter. Elegantly served on an exclusive platter, it offered an enticing array of delights: the succulent Chicken Sateh, crispy Spring Rolls, Toong Tong (a delightful mixture of minced chicken subtly flavored with garlic, encased in a rice paper pouch and deep-fried to perfection), Paper Prawn, and the mouthwatering Khanom Pang Na Goong (a harmonious blend of minced meat and prawns, generously spread on bread and fried, paired with a sweet and sour plum sauce).
The Main Event
What’s a Curry Club without its iconic curries? The table was adorned with:
- GAENG PHED: A fiery Thai red curry, laden with bamboo shoots and tender baby aubergines, simmered in a rich fusion of red chillies and aromatic herbs in luscious coconut milk.
- GAENG KIEW WAAN: The renowned Thai green curry, teeming with bamboo shoots and baby aubergines, and flavored with green chillies, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, and a sprinkle of spices, all married beautifully in coconut milk.
- PANANG CURRY: A delectable dry curry, redolent with red curry paste, creamy coconut, and fragrant basil.
- YELLOW CURRY: A gentle yellow curry that mingles potato and onion in its embrace.
- GAENG MASSAMAN: A mild, creamy coconut curry garnished with crunchy peanuts.
- GAI PAD BAI KARPRAW: Chicken sizzled to perfection with a fiery mix of fresh chillies, garlic, and refreshing basil leaves.
True to the spirit of the Curry Club, one of our regulars playfully challenged the chef, requesting his curry to be dialled up in terms of heat.
For those with a penchant for noodles, the Pad Thai with succulent prawns and the Pad Thai Moo Grob, a tantalizing stir-fry with crispy pork belly, egg, crushed peanuts, bean sprouts, spring onion, and sweet turnip, were the picks of the night.
Endless Fun and Banter
The evening was an effervescent blend of delightful dishes, hearty laughter, and animated banter.
As the night deepened and our plates emptied, the congregation relocated to the Garrick’s Head, where conversations flowed as smoothly as the drinks, ensuring the evening was etched in memory for times to come.