This section provides an overview of the Senior Deacon’s role as part of the 6 main progressive offices that commonly lead to the Chair of the Lodge as its Worshipful Master.
Responsible for “to bear all messages and commands from the WM to the Senior Warden and await the return of the Junior Deacon“.
- May have the responsibility of taking the Minute book from the Secretary to the WM for signing and its return to the Secretary, remember to carry your wand.
- Responsible in conjunction with the Junior Deacon for escorting all Candidates into the Lodge
- Passing: Takes a lead role in the ceremony of passing, guiding candidate round the Lodge during ceremony of Passing. Instructing him with and giving him words to repeat when you put a hand on his shoulder. Remember to lead and reassure him.
- Raising: Takes a lead role in the ceremony of raising and must know the 3rd Degree Answers to the WM’s Questions and be ready to prompt the Candidate. Guiding candidate around the Losing and instructing him and giving him words to repeat when you put a hand on his shoulder.
- Basic ritual to be learned and can be called upon to assist with ritual during a ceremony
- Required in conjunction with the Junior Deacon for collecting Alms
- When processing in and out, Senior Deacon in conjunction with Junior Deacon will lead the procession under the direction of DC and ADC (Cross wands at exit). When provincial dignitaries are in attendance, take directions from Provincial DC or Provincial ADC
- A member of Lodge Committee and be required to attend committee meetings when called upon.
Others: Help with Festive board as Steward (Waiter) if table service is not available. Help with selling raffle tickets and collecting money during Festive Board to raise money for charity.
Years to Chair: 3
Adapted and updated from “Progression to the Chart and Beyond – Handout 2 v2 Aug 2016”