This section provides an overview of the Senior Warden role as part of the 6 main progressive offices that commonly lead to the Chair of the Lodge as its Worshipful Master.
The most senior Master Mason in the Lodge
- In conjunction with, and under the direction of the WM, will assist in Opening and Closing of each Degree with particular attention to Openings of all deg-rees and closing of first.
- More involved ritual to be learned and in particular in many Lodges the 2nd Degree Tracing Board
- At the Festive Board, sits at the end of the left column facing the top table. In conjunction with the WM and Junior Warden, will gavel as required.
- In some Lodges, he will be expected to give certain toasts
- This is a very important year for the SW as it is the final opportunity to learn the necessary ritual when there is no pressure on him, especially the Ceremony of Installation
- Practice the ritual during the Ceremonies – test yourself silently
- When Visiting, offer or be ready to make the response on behalf of the Visitors following the toast to them
- When made Master Elect of your Lodge, be ready to stand and say a few words of thanks to the Lodge.
Years to Chair: 1
Adapted and updated from “Progression to the Chart and Beyond – Handout 2 v2 Aug 2016”